Saturday, August 21, 2010

Turn and face the strange...

"Every time I thought I'd got it made
It seemed the taste was not so sweet
So I turned myself to face me
But I've never caught a glimpse

"Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
Turn and face the strange..."

Seems apropos so far...

"I watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence
So the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same...

"Strange fascination, fascinating me
Ah changes are taking the pace I'm going through

"Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes
(Turn and face the strange)
Ch-ch-Changes
Oh, look out you rock 'n rollers
Pretty soon now you're gonna get older
Time may change me
But I can't trace time
I said that time may change me
But I can't trace time"

So I'm not alone. What I've gone through, what I have been experiencing in my life is just like what everyone else does. Sorta. And THIS rock 'n roller is getting older so Bowie MUST be prophetic... or brilliant. Or both. Ha!

I think it's probably common place to think that we are "the only ones that..." or, to speak for myself, that I suffer (??) in my very own, special, one-of-a-kind existences that nobody else experiences. "Turn and face the strange"... could this mean "me"? Or just what's outside the/my box? Change is growth. Change is different, or "strange" I guess. And the aspect of myself that "I've never caught a glimpse" of or been brave enough to embrace could be my "strange".

Back in the late 70's, early 80's... before HIV/AIDS was publicly known about, the "hunt for some strange" was mildly common between me and my co-huntress/roommate/gf. It was exciting to go out, explore unknown territory, to find an exciting partner, even if only for one night. We figured it was commonplace for men to do, why not us? Thankfully we emerged from that mindset safely and unharmed. But to consider that "thrill" that we sought... of something strange. I'd like to embrace that now. Not sexually. Not unsafely. Not unprepared or recklessly. But bravely explore my world, looking for and willing to see, to turn and face the strange.

I am not alone. We are one. I think we all feel the same, for the most part. Barbara Plummer of Romper Room used to look through her magic mirror and see us all... by name. I think I'll use my own magic to see the world. Will I catch a glimpse of my own reflection? I expect I will... in the mirrors of all the souls in the world.

God Bless



No comments:

Post a Comment